Whale watching Autumn and Winter
Sometime in the period between November and March many groups of Killer whales (Orcas), Humpback whales and Fin whales follow the Herring into the Andfjord, just east of Andenes making it an whale watching El Dorado. The arrival of the herring does vary from year to year! To be sure, please contact us beforehand. This annual feast gives us the opportunity to experience these whales at close range. And, keep in mind, our Sperm whales are present here whole year around, independent of the herring. Due to the limited day light we organize only one trip a day in the darkest period, but as soon as we have more light in the middle of January we start running more trips daily.
Procedure of a whale watching trip in Atumn/Winter
- Arrival: Please be at at the Sea Safari Brygga (reception and guesthouse) 30 minutes prior to departure.
- Reception: Check-in and informative introduction about whales and the sea as well as a safety briefing. When necessary, information is given in different languages (English, Norwegian, German, Dutch, and Spanish).
- Getting ready for the sea: We provide a thermo-floatation suit and a life-vest which is mandatory, Please, wear warm and comfortable woolen or fleece clothes, in winter long under wear e.g. merino is recommended as well as warm boots.
- Boarding: Together we go to the boats, just next to the reception.
Off we go! Depending on where the whales are, we drive between 10 - 20 minutes to their position. When we approach the whales we do operate very respectfully in their proximity, following our code of conduct for whalewatching.
- The autumn/winter tours last between 2 and 3 hours and take place from November to March (weather-dependent). Please, contact us beforehand for whale watching in October and April.
- Back on land:
From the harbor we go back to the reception where we change and enjoy some warm soup, bread, coffee and tea, and during our trip summary you can get more information on the whales you just watched.
For the whale watching trips, we provide
- Water-repellent thermo flotation suit
We recommend to wear
- long underwear (fleece, wool, merino)
- comfortable cloths
- warm jumper/jacket
- beani and gloves
- warm, waterproof shoes/boots
Duration: 2 - 3 hours
Max. Passenger number: 12/boat
2 Adults plus 2 Child (up to 12)
Note: Our whale watching trips are weather-dependent. Therefore it is a good idea to add one day or two to your stay, just in case that waves are too high or it is too foggy. Please, contact us or read the FAQs for more information.